- Excessive worry and fear in completing everyday activities
- A sense that events are uncontrollable and unpredictable
- Uncomfortable physical feelings such as heart palpitations, sweating, rushed breathing, tension and pain
- A Physiological response that facilitates escape or self-defense
- Negative thoughts about situation and events that cause you fear, worry and nervousness
Types of Anxiety
- Separation anxiety disorder
- Selective mutism
- Specific phobia-fear of specific place, person, object
- Generalized anxiety disorder-severe and uncontrollable fear
- Social anxiety disorder-out of proportion fear of social settings
- Panic disorder- often experienced as unexpected”panic attacks”
- Agoraphobia- avoidance of specific situation attributed to anxiety
- Substance/medication-induced anxiety disorder
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) has been shown to be very effective at managing anxiety, it involves;
- Behavioral Exposure: gradually and repeatedly facing situations that one fears, until they no longer bring about fear.
- Cognitive Restructuring/Thought Record: Track and respond to thoughts in an organized way using various tools and worksheets.
- Psychoeducation: begin to understand relationship between thoughts emotions and behaviours.
- Relaxation Techniques: certain set of procedures taught to illicit physical and mental calmness (mindfulness meditation).
Hannah Esmaili-Counselling2Wellness Inc. 2896 Bloor Street West, Etobicoke, ON 416-999-8618